As of lately I've become a bit of a smoothie fanatic. Yes, I have jumped on the smoothie bandwagon just like the previous juice bandwagon.
But I can't stop! They taste so wonderful and they give me so much energy and nutrients!
I rarely stray from my strict "dessert/ baking blog" style, but when I do, it's because I need to share something great!
Produce in Germany is very seasonal. Way more seasonal than in America. Germans like buying German products. It gives them comfort and I get that. I'm all for it! Keep the fresh/ local produce coming!
When going down the smoothie road, there are a few things to keep in mind...
1. Buy fresh or buy frozen without any added ingredients (like sugars).
2. Be careful about your sweetener. Don't instantly reach for the sugar! Think about a more natural, healthier sweetener like honey.
3. Leave the skins on! I like to leave my skins on fruits like apples and nectarines because that's where all the nutrients are!
4. Keep in mind how many calories really are in smoothies. If you're drinking them solely for a "snack," try cutting the portion size.
5. If you are planning your smoothies for a meal replacement, like breakfast, make sure you're adding good, filling ingredients that are high in protein, like nuts! This way you won't become so hungry so fast.
Our current season is all about strawberries and nectarines! In my opinion, these are some of the best tasting, healthiest fruits out there!
Here's my Strawberry and Nectarine Almond Smoothie. It is a fast and filling breakfast replacement.
Strawberry and Nectarine Almond Smoothie
For two smoothies
2 nectarines, pitted and chopped
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
Small handful of almonds
1/2 cup fat free yogurt
1/2 water or milk
Place all ingredients, except for the water or milk in a blender. Blend while streaming in the water or milk until desired consisted in reached.
***Don't forget about the GIVEAWAY that ends on Wednesday, May 28, 2014. Enter Here!